SD-WAN is fundamentally about efficiency. It comes down to giving the people who work for you the tools they need to compete and win on a global stage – the ultimate responsibility of upper management. It touches your customers too – in a situation where network capacity becomes limited for whatever reason, SD-WAN gives you the power to prioritize bandwidth, ensuring that the applications most critical to customer experience don’t skip a beat.
WHAT IS SD-WAN?
Software Defined - Wide Area Network (SD-WAN) is a combination of technologies designed to offer a simpler approach to the WAN. It’s being driven largely by the decreasing cost of bandwidth and the increase in cloud applications that reside outside of the legacy data center. SD-WAN can be deployed over existing WAN connections, whether they are Internet (DIA, broadband, LTE) or private (MPLS, private line), in order to create a secure, private, fully meshed network. It offers simplified management, quicker turnup, better application performance, improved resiliency, and cost savings when compared to traditional approaches.
WHY CONSIDER IT?
- Cost savings vs. expensive private networks
- Decreasing cost of Internet bandwidth
- Improved performance for cloud applications
- Increased resiliency and uptime across the entire network
- Simplified network management, especially at branch sites
- Drastically shorter time to deploy new locations